Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Cleveland W416

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Cleveland W416

    I saw this mentioned on DIY Audio website as an Altec 416 replacement. Is anyone familiar with this speaker?

    OlimpiaAudio_ClevelandW416

    Cheers, Marshall.

    PS. Also W412 and W414.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Cleveland W416


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Cleveland W416

    Looks like a small Italian company just took some Altecs apart and cloned them.

    Appear to have higher power handling...note it's ferrite too...

    Italy can make good speakers...RCF and B&C come to mind...

    I would be tempted to get real Altecs in the absence of a reason to buy them. I would like to hear a pair, but chances are slim to none.

    English by Google

    Google Translate
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Cleveland W416

    Google Translate

    Looks like they're available in ceramic and Neodymium, if you look at the bottom of this page. I like it that they state, at least in the Google translation, that they are modern replicas.

    I have no experience with drivers with neodymium magnets. It would be neat to have an "Altec" driver with the new magnet technology.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Cleveland W416


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Cleveland W416

    Quote Originally Posted by Audio_by_Goodwill View Post
    I have no experience with drivers with neodymium magnets.
    Tried to count and come up with about 10 different units that I have used both the neo and ferrite versions.

    My general feeling, subject to change, is neo has better "transient" response. Just seems the neos have a little quicker attack...and with good HF units the neo seems to have a bit more detail.

    This is entirely subjective, but is backed by AB tests where I picked the neo driver 4 out of 4....so I do think there is a difference. Just not gonna claim everybody is gonna hear what I do...


    Neo magnets are killed, as in dead, by excess heat...I would be a bit afraid of neos in, say, a folded horn with a very small closed rear chamber.

    For me, from a portability standpoint, lower weight is not to be discounted also.

    Now given the spare money, I MIGHT just plonk down for a neo 416. Ferrite wouldn't excite me at all.

    Actually given the trend to subs, neo 414's and neo HF units by BMS might be really nice with subs under it...I REALLY like the 811 and 32 horns...
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.